Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Computer Blues

Last week my computer went belly up. One minute it was working fine; I put it in "sleep" mode, and when I came back it was frozen with the desktop being displayed. The cursor would move, but I could not click on any icons, and if I positioned the cursor on the bottom tool bar, the hour-glass appeared. The start icon did not work. Control-alt-delete did nothing. Holding down the on-off button did nothing. I literally could not turn it off. Dutch suggested unplugging it over night so the battery would run down and it would shut itself off automatically; then, hopefully, I could simply turn it back on. So that's what I did. By the next morning the battery had run down and it had turned itself off. So I plugged it back in and came back four hours later. Unfortunately the second half of the solution did not work. It would not turn on.

So I carried it (laptop, thank goodness) in to Bethel's computer geek and he is trying to resurrect it. At this point he is in the process of taking the entire thing apart. I should know by Friday whether there is any hope of continued life. If not I'll have to shop for a new computer, which wasn't really in the budget right now. My fingers are crossed.

Any insights out there as to why and/or how this happened? My computer guru is baffled by it.

And thanks to Joan for the loan of her computer so I could post this. I figured a few of you might be wondering what had happened to me.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

Glad you are okay!!! I was beginning to wonder!

Sounds like a virus, maybe?? They can do crazy things to your computer sometimes...

Glad things are relatively okay!

Laura

Wednesday, August 06, 2008 10:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you need to get a new one I suggest you consider the Apple Macintosh line. We run four of them here and have never had a virus problem. My wife has a basic Macbook (not the Pro, about $1099 plus shipping and tax in the Lower 48) in addition to a older G4 tower version, and likes it. I have two iMacs (larger, desktop) and they are great, too.

Good Luck!

cush

Thursday, August 07, 2008 1:07:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no clue on what's wrong - sorry about the computer troubles. Watch the final total on BAPC's bill though - I've had bills inflate by $200+ before with no previous warning shot or anything.

Thursday, August 07, 2008 2:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

kinda feel a bit lost when the computer is on the blitz, huh?
I am glad I found your site. I enjoy reading about your adventures in Alaska. I grew up in AL south of Birmingham, I am in nursing school, and plan to retire (hubby is military) in Anchorage next year or so. Maybe in our travels we will bump into each other, that would be a treat. Keep posting, I love reading them. ~thepenartist

Friday, August 08, 2008 3:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home