Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Pulling Teeth

Writing has been like pulling teeth for me these last few weeks, as evidenced by the dearth of posts on this blog. Life is full and busy, I just haven’t been inspired to write about it. This is not so much writer’s block, as I have numerous ideas for topics I want to write about; it is more like lack of writer’s discipline—an inadequate supply of “bum glue”, as author Elizabeth George phrases it.

This is not a new problem for me. Writing has always been something I have done in waves: big output followed by long periods of not writing at all. When I started the blog a little over a year ago, one of my reasons was to create a tool that would improve my discipline about writing. And it has definitely done that. In the first year, I pretty consistently posted two to three times per week. For the last month or two, though, I seem to have hit a trough.

Recently I read that there are now estimated to be over 77 million blogs on the internet. When I first started there were around 40 million. With such an explosion of blogs, there is plenty out there to read. Way more than most people have time for. To those of you who are loyal Tundra Medicine Dreams readers, thank you. You certainly have plenty to choose from, and I am honored that you choose to read my work. To those of you who are also commenters, thank you even more! Like all bloggers, I love comments. The great beauty of this format of publication is the ability of the writer to interact with his or her audience. That alone is a powerful motivator to keep writing.

I never intended to take a blog vacation, and that is not what I am calling this current phase. I’m thinking of it more like the trough before the next wave, which will come. In the meantime, my creative writing mind is traveling more often to the fantasyland where my first novel is gestating. It, too, is about life in Alaska.

More as it comes.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

Woo hoo! TPA fiction! Hard to imagine; your non-fiction is pretty amazing to the rest of us boring minions.

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:06:00 PM  
Blogger The Tundra PA said...

Aw, shucks, Dr. Dino! {bashful grin} Thanks!

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 5:19:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Your blog has always been a favourite of mine and I will be watching for the next wave. The fiction project sounds intriguing.
ruth

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 6:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand. I will wait till you feel the urge again
: " ) I really enjoy your writing especially the stories about public health in Alaska. I find it fascinating.

Erin

Saturday, August 18, 2007 9:39:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret Polaneczky, MD (aka TBTAM) said...

I find myself, too, writing in waves.I think it is because blogging feels to me like mre than writing. When I am blogging regularly, I feel my brain wandering the world, trying to stay in touch with those others out there in the blogosphere. It makes me sometimes a bit less in touch with my real life.

Occasionally, my real life is just too compelling to leave for the blog.

If that makes any sense.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 6:03:00 AM  
Blogger Shelby said...

I've enjoyed reading through your posts and the fiction does sound very intriguing.. take care :)

Sunday, August 19, 2007 8:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I await each chapt. with excitement and relish each one, much like the fresh berries you described in your most recent chapter. Corliss in Chattanooga

Thursday, August 23, 2007 4:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home