Saturday, November 25, 2006

Presents!



The Tundra PA is a happy gal tonight! Two yummy presents arrived today, sort of like an early Christmas. The first was my new camera! Dutch was as distressed as I was at the loss of my old one, so he jumped on the internet and found me a replacement. We decided on the Canon Power Shot A710 IS (for image stabilization--whoo hoo). It was delivered right to the house, which is a big deal since we don't have home delivery of mail. And I love it! It is similar to the A620 that I lost, but has some nice new features. It is smaller and easier to carry around in a pocket, which is great.

My second big yummy arrived home from the post office with Dutch. My new extreme Jeff King suit came in the mail from Cabela's today. My old outdoor gear was getting pretty worn and needed replacing, so I decided to treat myself to a big present. Its official name is the extreme Trans-Alaska suit, but because it is showcased for Cabela's by one of the top professional mushers, most mushers just call it the Jeff King suit.

No matter what you call it, it is a beautiful piece of workmanship. It is a one-piece outer garment worn over several inner layers of fleece and/or polypropylene. It is nearly impenetrable to wind, has a comfortable amount of padding and a drop seat for bathroom needs. It has many pockets inside and out, some of which are designed to hold handwarmer packets. And it is comfortable to wear!

The rest of the gear you can see in the photo are a beaver hat, beaver musher's mitts, and Steger mukluks, the warmest things you can put on your feet. Behind the Jeff King suit is my giant purple over-parka, made by Apocalypse Design in Fairbanks. It is the last word in survival.

Next weekend is the state championship wrestling tournament. It is being held in the village of Akiachak, about fifteen miles upriver from Bethel. My friend Joan's older son Michael is a varsity wrestler for Bethel Regional High School, so Joan and her younger son Luke will be flying up to watch Michael compete. Henry is thinking of taking a dog team up, and Dutch and I will likely go with him, on snow machines. If the blizzard we are waiting for moves in tonight, we could have a good snow pack by then, which would improve the hardness of the trail significantly. My fingers are crossed.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger The Tundra PA said...

This morning Blogger would still not allow me to edit the original version of this post and add the second photo. It did allow me to load the photo on a new post, so I copied the text and made a whole new post, but in doing so I lost Dr. A's comment on the original. Retrieved from email, I'll add it here; can't be losing Dr. A!


Dr. A has left a new comment on your post "Presents!":

New camera. Yay! I've taken a look at that Canon before, and I agree - Yum! You'll have a good time with that.

Cabela stuff? Not so much. I've always wanted to check out that store, but haven't had the opportunity, yet. I've checked out their website before. Interesting stuff.

Hopefully, the tempermental blogger will let you post more pics - especially with your new camera!

Sunday, November 26, 2006 11:10:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, are you in that photo somewhere, tundrapa? You could conceivably be there, surrounded by warm fuzzy layers, hidden from view inside your new suit.

Hard to imagine the depths of weather you must get up there to need a suit like that.

Sunday, November 26, 2006 10:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home